May 28, 2012

Moved by a moment thousands of miles from home....a note from Doug LaViolette

Three weeks ago I had the privilege to spend time in Normandy, France and witness one of the most moving moments of my life. 

It was my first visit to one of the most hallowed places on earth. What I will remember most, is one of last things I saw. 

Leaving the Normandy Beach Memorial Museum, 
I discovered a single display that needs no words to describe 
the loss and love of one country to another.


I snapped this photo as a young French student was sharing this moment with a friend.

I will always wonder what she was ''saying'' as she emailed the picture she had just taken.  There is no doubt in my mind, it was profound and moving.

You see, I've learned that in these far away lands, they not only appreciate their freedom....


they remember why they are free and are teaching their children who gave them that freedom.  




No comments: